Is the project winding down?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry I have to ask, and I mean this very politely and with no judgement as I'm well aware of how much time this kind of thing can take up.

I'm just about to start a major rebuild of a project and I need to know if this is a toolkit worth investing in, or if it's a non starter. I see there's been no commits since january and obviously as the front page states, we should have seen a 2.0 and soon a 2.1?

Obviously if we do start using this, you'll be receiving a ton of feedback and probably 'pull requests' from us as you'll have a team of roughly 15 senior developers working on this every single day. We even be able to swing some donations. I just need to know before I start on this path.

Hopefully this has come across the way it was intended, as an honest question.

Thanks,
Adam.
Mar 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I second that.

I ran a little app with Elysium and the performance, memory leak and some issues around design implementation caused me to re-consider implementing this SDK in the bigger project (which is still in development).
Lack of confidence in the continuity of the project only adds to this.

Cheers,
Alex
Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Same here.
However I believe this is by far the best option out there if one is going for the metro style WPF application.

Cheers,
Edward
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hello.

Elysium is an open-source, free project. It hasn't lifetime support and development team. If you need to use Metro style in your business application, you can use other solutions like Telerik UI controls for .NET with 24/7 support. But I assure you that the development and fixing bugs of Elysium will continue for a long time.

Thank you,
Aleksandr.
Marked as answer by afsherman on 10/7/2013 at 6:27 PM
Apr 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
Due to the tight timetable we have switched to other approach to work around this issue, but I'll have a look into the Telerik UI if budget is available.
I sincerely hope Elysium would go further.

Cheers,
Edward
Apr 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Hi afsherman,

While we all understand the open source and hobby-like nature of the project, the commitment of the contributors is a crucial factor in reliance on the package. For instance, Debian is a free and open-source OS but it has a tight release schedule, bugfixes and community. While the comparison may be somewhat inadequate, look at WPF extension toolkit which is somewhat similar to what you are doing in that it extends WPF to support additional, enhance user interfaces to create a solid uniform experience across various platforms. Elysium 2.0 is behind schedule and 1.6 that was planned some time ago never eventuated.
Please, don't take me wrong, i am not trying to criticise and i was deeply impressed by the work that was already performed by yourself; i just need to realistically align my expectations with yours so that i can make my decision as to whether i should rely on Elysium in my work, regardless of whether it is a business or open-source free app.

Cheers,
Alex
Marked as answer by afsherman on 10/7/2013 at 6:27 PM